Minority Inclusion Project’s Board Diversity Initiative aims to strengthen nonprofit organizations across Connecticut by helping boards to become racially and ethnically diverse and inclusive. Launched in 2017, the Board Diversity Initiative offers nonprofits clear strategies, training, and access to board-ready leaders of color to serve on their boards. The changing demographics of our country are creating a workforce more diverse than ever. With that diversity comes the need for nonprofit, foundation, commission and corporate boards to be more inclusive and more representative of the communities and customers they serve. Diverse governing boards can help institutions better align themselves with the communities they serve, stimulate dialogue and innovation, improve strategic thinking and decision-making and expand networks of dedicated talent.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member organization of MIP's Board Diversity Initiative. Open enrollment for 2018 Cohort II member organizations is Feb. 1, 2018 – May 30, 2018. The first workshop for Cohort II is scheduled for Tuesday, July 24 from 12 pm - 4 pm.
BDI Member Organization Requirements: To enroll, BDI member organizations must submit the following info (for the most recent fiscal year):
- Annual budget or 990
- Board Member roles and responsibilities
- Organization by-laws
- Board Demographics (# of board members, race/ethnicity, gender, age)
- Signed BDI Member Organization Agreement
- BDI Member organizations are required to have the CEO/ED and at least one board member attend quarterly professional development workshops. 100% attendance is required for completion of the program. There is a total of five sessions.
- BDI Member organizations must provide names of participants IN ADVANCE of starting the program
- CEO/ED will be the central point of contact for all communications with MIP
- BDI Member organizations must pay annual membership fee in advance or arrange for a payment plan before starting the program
- BDI Member organization must participate in two inclusion coaching sessions with MIP
- BDI Member organizations must complete, submit a copy of, and present the inclusiveness blueprint by the completion of the program
Session I: Program Introduction; Making the Case for DEI Action Planning
Session II: DEI Visioning, Goal Setting, and Action Planning
Session III – Inclusion Coaching Session with MIP
Session IV: Putting Your DEI Plan into Action
Session V: Accountability Framework & Evaluation
Session VI – Inclusion Coaching Session with MIP
Session VII: DEI Action Plans & Final Presentations
MIP is a nonprofit dedicated to building a more equitable nonprofit sector by developing diverse leaders of color and helping nonprofits achieve diversity, inclusive excellence, and authentic equity.
The costs to MIP for each of the member organizations to participate in this initiative is $5,335 per year.
We bill our BDI member organizations on a sliding scale as an intentional effort to distribute resources equitably between organizations such as universities, nonprofits, cooperatives, collectives, and community-based organizations with low to no budget. The fees range from $500 - $5000 annually depending on the budget size of the organization.
Our application and enrollment process is designed to be thoughtful, introspective, and sensitive to our member organizations. There are four key steps that you'll need to take to get enrolled TODAY!
- Participate in Board Diversity Initiative Orientation / Community Information Session
- Schedule a free consultation with MIP Staff
- Submit all required documentation
- Submit all required fees or arrange for payment schedule
Throughout the process, MIP staff and skilled volunteers are here to assist. If your organization is interested in getting started, email Program Coordinator Karen Adamson.