What is the Board Diversity Initiative (BDI)?
The Board Diversity Initiative is a program that builds the capacity of nonprofit partners to develop and implement a tailored, comprehensive race-equity, cultural inclusion, and diversity roadmap for the organization’s board. Our program will help you assess and enhance areas of an effective Board Diversity Plan in five critical areas: Board Leadership; Board Culture; Board Recruitment & Retention; Board Communication; Board Policies. We offer 2 service packages:
LV. 1 - BOARD DIVERSITY STARTER
2-hour race-equity, inclusion, and diversity board development workshop for nonprofits and public agencies. Features include:
- Data framing the board diversity challenges
- Definitions, key terminology, and common language
- Overview of the process for achieving board diversity
- Moderated question & answer session with board and organizational leaders
- On-site (physical or online) at a convenient time and location for your board members
- Post conversation downloadable resources and next steps
- $300.00 - for organizations with boards of up to 25 members
- $500.00 - for organizations with boards of more than 25 members
Payment is due in full upon scheduling the workshop.
LV. 2 - BOARD DIVERSITY INITIATIVE COHORT
12-Months of board development training and support for nonprofits to create a race-equity, inclusion, and diversity action plan. Features include:
- Board Self Assessment
- Capacity building trainings/workshops/professional development
- MIP's research-based toolkit for advancing board diversity
- Networking & Cultivation Event with diverse professionals
- Access to an online resource library for additional support
- 6 additional months of equity coaching and board recruitment assistance
- Lifetime membership in MIP's Peer Learning Network (700+ Individuals and 100+ Organizations)
Each participating organization must complete 24 hours of capacity-building workshops to build key skills and learn interventions that can help advance diversity. Team leaders will also participate in a networking & cultivation event to meet diverse professionals from across CT, and receive 4-6 hours of individualized equity-coaching from MIP.
- Equity Teams for each organization are required and must include the Executive Director/CEO, one board member, and one staff person (ideally someone who is NOT a manager or senior leader).
- Workshops are pre-scheduled. Equity Teams MUST participate in ALL capacity-building workshops. Executive Directors MUST also commit to coaching sessions (the full equity team is not required).
- The next cohort begins in January 2019 and now is the time for organizations to apply. A maximum of 5 organizations are selected for each annual cohort.
The annual cost for MIP to provide this service is $10,000 per organization. To support cost sharing, MIP will work with our clients and local funders to raise 50% of the annual fees for each participating organization. Therefore, the out-of-pocket fee for an organization to participate is $5000.00 annually, regardless of size.
To accommodate the varying sizes and needs of our partner organizations, MIP provides our partners with several payment options including:
- A 5% annual discount when the entire fee is paid in full at contract signing
- Convenient payment plans for small nonprofits